Ex-player Dave Pear says concussion issue could end NFL
Dave Pear, an activist and former NFL defensive lineman who played from 1975 to 1980, believes that the concussion issue and its related lawsuits could have a dizzying effect that could spell the end of the NFL for good.
Kurt Warner created quite a stir by saying that he would rather his sons not play football. Our analysts give their thoughts. More …
“The concussion issue, if not handled right, has the potential to end football,” Pear told the Denver Post. “If you look at the history of the game, (John) Heisman saved the game by inventing the forward pass. Now it’s come full circle.”
Pear played nose tackle for the Baltimore Colts, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Oakland Raiders where his final NFL appearance came in Super Bowl XV in a victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. But he said a severe neck injury was a root cause of his retirement in 1981.
The former player said that the NFL is not doing enough for its disabled veterans. The 58-year-old has had numerous neck, back and hip surgeries in addition to problems with memory loss that qualified him for some Social Security benefits in 2004.
Pear said: “The NFL hasn’t been honest about concussions, just the way the tobacco companies weren’t honest about cigarettes. They’re going to deny.”
He’s also highly critical of the NFL Players Association and the NFL Alumni Association.
Pear encourages former players to sign a “declaration of independence” on his blog from the NFLPA, which he believes has not taken care of ex-players and acts without their consent.
“I enjoyed playing professional football until I was injured,” Pear said. “Once I became injured, the game turned on me. And 95 percent of the retired players have become the enemy of the NFL.”
- James regains No. 1 spot as NBA’s top-selling jersey
- 2012 NFL Draft countdown: SN’s No. 3 prospect, LSU CB Morris Claiborne
- NHL downplays players’ legal maneuver
- Red Sox continue roll, beat Tigers 6-4 (Yahoo! Sports)
- 10 things to know about this year’s draft
- NFL Capsules: Former Cowboys assistant Avezzano dead at 68
- Photo: Yao Ming and a baby elephant
- Notebook: Jazz 86, Trail Blazers 77
- How will Terrell Owens fare in Seattle?
- Giants activate Hill, place Coe on injured reserve (Yahoo! Sports)