Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Report: Brown open to return to Cavaliers
- Thunder’s Ibaka out vs. Trail Blazers
- Stanley Cup rioters sentenced for attacking Good Samaritan
- Ricky Rubio says he’s on track to return but won’t rush
- Jordan: Bobcats changing name to Hornets
- Chicago Bulls brace to start season minus Derrick Rose
- Spezza may be on horizon for Senators in Round 2
- Goldschmidt’s HR in 9th lifts D-backs over Dodgers (Yahoo! Sports)
- Jazz bring back Malone to work with Kanter, Favors
- Why the NFL Should Not Expand to London: Chicago Bears Fan’s Opinion