Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Sports violence: NFL hands out latest punishments
- Rice TD gives Seahawks 23-17 OT win over Bears (Yahoo! Sports)
- NHL prospects await call from minors
- Graham James eligible to apply for full parole
- Two Jones brothers in NFL; brother "Bones" gets kicks in MMA
- Wolves’ Love on Minnesota: ‘I love being here’
- Habs try to get right back in win column in Carolina
- Saints’ Vitt challenges piece of NFL bounty evidence
- Neshek joins A’s after newborn son’s death (Yahoo! Sports)
- Canucks want Zack Kassian to be offensive force