Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Notebook: Grizzlies 105, Knicks 95
- Heat’s Wade gets second chance at back-to-back titles
- Dan Ellis, Hurricanes blank Senators
- Notebook: Magic 90, Wizards 83
- Detroit P Fister to miss next start with injury (Yahoo! Sports)
- Notebook: Lakers 103, Hornets 87
- Bills open free agency by cutting QB Fitzpatrick (Yahoo! Sports)
- A’s starter Anderson exits with strained back (Yahoo! Sports)
- Pack President Mark Murphy doesn’t support 18-game schedule
- Report: Howard doing well after back surgery