Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Nike unveils new NFL uniforms
- Former AL MVP Tejada says he has deal with Royals (Yahoo! Sports)
- Watch & Chat: Blackhawks at Red Wings, Game 4
- Wolves’ Rubio knows great expectations await
- No talks Monday between league, union (Yahoo! Sports)
- Playing in hometown ‘special’ for Canadiens’ Tomas Plekanec
- Raptors’ Lowry out 1-2 weeks with foot bone bruise
- Local NFL player to host benefit for brain-injury care
- Offseason Player Movement: Southwest Division
- Monday Night Football preview and picks for week one