Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Tuesday Sports Wrap
- Hellickson hit in head with ball during BP (Yahoo! Sports)
- Angels ace Weaver to DL with lower-back woes (Yahoo! Sports)
- Miikka Kiprusoff returns, leads Flames over Sharks
- Teixeira delivers big hits again as Yankees win (Yahoo! Sports)
- Red Wings, Jimmy Howard officially strike new 6-year deal
- 2007 NFL Draft gets makeover; Tebow speaks to thousands on Easter
- Philadelphia 76ers to name DiLeo general manager
- Arizona RB Beanie Wells returns to face Rams (Yahoo! Sports)
- Notebook: Grizzlies 84, Cavaliers 78