Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Beltran, Wainwright lead Cards past Phillies 4-3 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Price solid, Francisco homers as Rays beat Toronto (Yahoo! Sports)
- Rays trade RHP Badenhop to Brewers for Mondesi Jr (Yahoo! Sports)
- Mets answer challenge and beat Yankees again, 9-4 (Yahoo! Sports)
- For NFL Teams, Quarterback Trouble Comes in Pairs
- What player is key to NBA Finals?
- Blue Jackets’ Umberger bides his time as volunteer coach with Buckeyes
- Alex Ovechkin, Capitals look to keep rolling in Montreal
- Penguins’ Evgeni Malkin earns MVP honors
- Knicks’ Stoudemire to have knee surgery, miss 6-8 weeks