Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- No smoking gun but plenty enough to shoot holes through Saints’ case
- Mayweather knocks out Tiger as highest-paid
- Zito, Giants beat Cards, close NLCS deficit to 3-2 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Notebook: Mavericks 109, Clippers 102
- WR Titus Young still not at practice for Lions (Yahoo! Sports)
- Lohse wins 15th, Cardinals beat Astros 4-1 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Sandoval returns to lineup for Giants against A’s (Yahoo! Sports)
- Agent questions NFL’s evidence
- Kia Tip-Off: Legend Q &A
- NFL draft preview: AFC and NFC West