Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Status of Robert Griffin III concern to gamblers
- What should LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu do now?
- Notebook: Lakers 116, Timberwolves 94
- Accused hockey trio attend counseling, not camp
- Rockets’ Parsons to miss game vs. Thunder
- 2013 NBA Draft to be first-ever in Brooklyn
- Flyers’ Hartnell gets six-year extension
- Evgeni Malkin returns to practice with Penguins
- Habs look to keep rolling at home vs. Rangers
- Upton hits 100th homer, Rays beat Orioles (Yahoo! Sports)