Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Dodgers eliminated from playoff contention (Yahoo! Sports)
- Peterson, Vikings hang on to beat Cardinals 21-14 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Anderson pitches A’s past Tigers to avoid sweep (Yahoo! Sports)
- Barcelona invites footless player to train
- Notebook: Pacers 103, Mavericks 83
- Manning puts neck issues from last year to rest (Yahoo! Sports)
- Thomas: No sympathy for steroids-tainted stars (Yahoo! Sports)
- Wang gets win in relief as Nats beat Braves 7-4 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Sixers continue the waiting game with Bynum
- Ben Davidson, rough-and-tumble face of 1960s Raiders, dead at 72