Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- NHL prospects await call from minors
- Ex-NFL WR Rison sentenced in child support case
- Uncertainty With Saints
- Now it begins
- Stanley Cup playoffs: NHL Western Conference
- Notebook: Grizzlies 94, Clippers 82
- Video: Showboating fighter hits the deck
- Firm won’t release further information about Hunter probe
- Crosby: ‘I do not like any guy’ on the Flyers
- NHL rejects NHLPA’s attempt to restart labour talks