Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Notebook: Suns 96, Grizzlies 90
- Wharnsby: Bruins hoping Nathan Horton can play Game 2
- Giants, RHP Casilla agree to $15M, 3-year deal (Yahoo! Sports)
- Giants GM Sabean shocked by Cabrera suspension (Yahoo! Sports)
- Abbotsford goalie breaks 55-year-old AHL record held by Johnny Bower
- Notebook: Knicks 114, Magic 106
- Meet the 6-year-old spelling bee prodigy
- Report: 76ers hire Hinkie as new president, GM
- Criticism of Tiger Woods ‘just out of hand’
- Grizzlies, Cavs agree to multiplayer trade