Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Diamondbacks’ 11-3 win at Texas first since 2000 (Yahoo! Sports)
- All-Stars share busy weekend with their kids
- NFL attorney: Hargrove was told to lie
- Mediators unable to bridge gap between NHL sides
- Heat sit James, Wade, Bosh, Haslem vs. Wizards
- Tigers avoid sweep, beat Indians 7-5 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Inside the NFL’s new fan conduct class
- 76ers waive Elton Brand, agree with Nick Young
- Notebook: Heat 105, Bulls 93
- Sixers’ debut for Bynum now on hold