Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Mavs cut West after suspending him twice
- Capitals’ John Erskine suspended 3 games for elbowing
- Bookies void grandma’s Olympic bet
- Saints could be Super motivated for 2012
- Notebook: Grizzlies 94, Bobcats 87
- Canadians say junior championship a springboard to NHL camps
- Live Chat at noon ET: Craig Simpson on Flames
- Dodgers’ Puig finally gets to playing baseball (Yahoo! Sports)
- Notebook: Celtics 116, Lakers 95
- Fixing the NFL rookie symposium