Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- 4 Ways the NFL Can Improve the Fan Experience
- New Toronto GM Ujiri looks to turn around Raptors
- Tuesday Sports Wrap
- NFL offseason report cards: NFC East
- Eric Staal hurt as Canada eliminated at hockey worlds
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. Houston Texans Wild Card Game Preview and Prediction
- NFL, Lions’ Stafford Take on Financial Literacy: Fan Reaction
- Monday Sports Wrap
- Luol Deng back on bench after getting stitches
- Reaction to Raffi Torres suspension