Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Janko Tipsarevic asked to wake up sleeping fan during match (VIDEO)
- James Harden and his beard sink Spurs
- Flyers top Pens in 80s-style match
- Pacers throttle Heat, take series lead with Game 3 win
- Peter King: Postcard from camp: Buccaneers
- NHL, players’ union reach tentative deal to end lockout
- Tigers beat Indians 6-4, pad lead in AL Central (Yahoo! Sports)
- Indianapolis Colts 2012 NFL Draft Review
- NFL denies witness retractions in bounty probe
- Watson hits golf balls out of Barclays house