Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Valverde hopes regain role; Wilson happy rooting (Yahoo! Sports)
- Weekend Sports Wrap
- Twins pitcher helps fan with tickets
- NHL lockout Day 62: Fan’s comment of the day
- NFL Fantasy football: Jacob Tamme elite?
- Notebook: Hawks 95, Hornets 86
- Millsap, Jefferson out for Jazz against Bobcats
- NFL Draft preview: Offensive linemen – The Star-Ledger
- Cardinals beat Diamondbacks 5-2 (Yahoo! Sports)
- SI Swimsuit Model Jessica White in the Philippines