Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Celtics’ Rondo out vs. Nets in Brooklyn
- Cory Schneider, Canucks blank Oilers in Derek Roy’s debut
- Hawks’ Williams out with sprained right knee
- Friday Sports Wrap
- Ben Bishop shines in debut as Lightning shut out Hurricanes
- Playing concussion-free a relief for many NHLers
- Don Cherry takes issue with Nail Yakupov goal celebration
- Wade out vs. Nuggets with sprained left foot
- Zobrist’s homer in 11th give Rays win over Rangers (Yahoo! Sports)
- Stults’ 2-hitter carries Padres over Diamondbacks (Yahoo! Sports)