Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Mavericks struggle as Nowitzki’s All-Star streak ends
- Three of UK’s potential first-rounders leaning toward returning
- Rockets still searching for answer to Thunder
- NHL labor negotiations about to begin
- Giants, RHP Casilla agree to $15M, 3-year deal (Yahoo! Sports)
- HNIC Your Pick: Canadiens vs Red Army 1975
- Notebook: Thunder 119, Hornets 74
- Jets in search of 1st win at Washington
- Afflalo, Lawson lead Nuggets to big win over Rockets
- Notebook: Lakers 119, Rockets 108