Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Straka’s 4-point performance helps Drakkar tame Tigres: QMJHL roundup
- Lakers’ Howard exits game with shoulder injury
- Teixeira has cortisone shot in left wrist (Yahoo! Sports)
- NFL Prospect Alfonzo Dennard Is Arrested
- Athletics, suspended Colon agree on 1-year deal (Yahoo! Sports)
- Why Predators must match Weber offer sheet
- Stanley Cup Stories: Jason Spezza a go, Wings rebound
- Mavs send Cunningham back to D-League
- Heat motivated to ‘repeat’? ‘Win another title’ more like it
- Pacers’ Stephenson returns with bruised hip