Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- NFL: New Cleveland Browns owner comforts fans in first address
- NFL’s Goodell: Bounty evidence going public
- Captivating season gives Warriors hope for future
- Indians send RHP Rogers to Jays for Aviles, Gomes (Yahoo! Sports)
- Nets exercise team option on guard Brooks
- John Tavares’ hat trick leads Islanders past Devils
- Rangers win Game 7, face Devils next
- Chicago Bears, 2012 NFL Season Preview
- Fans react to Leafs, Canucks locking up playoff berth
- Darvish 11 Ks in first home loss, 3-1 to Oakland (Yahoo! Sports)