Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Salley doesn’t have Jordan in top 5
- Monday Sports Wrap
- Anthony Davis’ defense just what the Hornets need
- Markham approves funding deal for NHL-size arena
- Brian Dawkins retiring from NFL after 16 seasons
- A-Rod dropped to 5th, Jeter shifted to DH by Yanks (Yahoo! Sports)
- NFL Star Eli Manning Tebows, Dresses in Drag for SNL
- Misery loves company: Celtics, Bulls in same hotel
- Jets aim to disarm Penguins’ many weapons
- Granderson, Yankees give Suzuki grand welcome (Yahoo! Sports)