Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Spurs’ Duncan leaves game with apparent leg injury
- Derek Jeter back at Yankee Stadium
- Habs’ Scott Gomez joins Alaska Aces as NHL lockout drags on
- Drew Brees is a surprisingly good cab driver
- Report: 2 NFL teams interested in Nick Saban after Alabama title win
- Blue Jays beat Orioles to complete 3-game sweep (Yahoo! Sports)
- World Series: Cabrera, Tigers vs Posey, Giants (Yahoo! Sports)
- Smoak helps Mariners hold off Rangers 8-6 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Davis’ 3 HRs leads Orioles over Blue Jays 6-4 (Yahoo! Sports)
- Tulowitzki helps Rockies beat Diamondbacks 6-3 (Yahoo! Sports)