Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Notebook: Pistons 103, Kings 97
- Braves take unconventional win over Nationals (Yahoo! Sports)
- Bobcats confirm coach Paul Silas shoved Tyrus Thomas
- Stadium worker entertains with "The Carlton"
- A’s McCarthy still in ‘life-threatening’ situation (Yahoo! Sports)
- Notebook: Timberwolves 107, Spurs 83
- Giants beat Reds 8-3, playoff series even at 2-all (Yahoo! Sports)
- Sam Bradford tweaks contract with St. Louis Rams
- Span, Revere spark Twins in 19-7 win over Orioles (Yahoo! Sports)
- Canadiens, Panthers exchange minor-league players