Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Cardinals, Giants each pulled off remarkable rally (Yahoo! Sports)
- NFL prospects prefer stylish gear (graphic)
- Saints have NFL’s smallest rookie pool
- Flynn to start preseason opener for Seattle (Yahoo! Sports)
- Feds crackdown on websites allegedly selling fake NFL jerseys
- Notebook: Thunder 106, Jazz 94
- Jets aim to disarm Penguins’ many weapons
- White Sox claim 1B Lars Anderson off waivers (Yahoo! Sports)
- Cardinals’ Westbrook gets new contract (Yahoo! Sports)
- Karl hit hard by friend Majerus’ death