Freddy Garcia being demoted to Yankees bullpen (Yahoo! Sports)
NEW YORK (AP) Struggling Yankees starter Freddy Garcia says he’s going to the bullpen.
Garcia was shifted to a relief role Sunday, a day after he gave up six runs to the Detroit Tigers in 1 2-3 innings. The outing boosted his ERA to 12.51.
Manager Joe Girardi said rookie David Phelps is a likely candidate to make a start if a move was made. Phelps said he hasn’t yet been told anything. Andy Pettitte will make a start for Class A Tampa and may need one or two more starts before he is ready join the rotation.
To help the taxed bullpen, the Yankees called up right-hander D.J. Mitchell from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes/Barre and optioned Cody Eppley to their top minor league club. Eppley and Phelps each pitched three innings Saturday.
- Notebook: Spurs 110, Bucks 99
- Mets’ Santana goes on 15-day DL with ankle injury (Yahoo! Sports)
- Wharnsby: CHLPA saga truly unique to hockey
- Alex Ovechkin, Capitals look to keep rolling in Montreal
- Notebook: Nuggets 128, Bulls 96
- Los Angeles’ best NFL hope, AEG, up for sale
- Cook tosses 2-hitter, Boston hits 4 HRs in 5-0 win (Yahoo! Sports)
- NFL notes: Rice, Forte, Scobee land rich new contracts with their teams
- Reds’ Baker in good health as new season starts (Yahoo! Sports)
- Madden NFL 13: Is the Hype too Much?