A Win for Flash in the Jobs vs. Flash War as Hulu says no to HTML 5
The internet is starting to answer in Apple’s fight against Flash, and for now, Flash is winning in two major battlegrounds. Hulu which is one of the largest video content providers in America has sided with Flash for now due to HTML 5’s limitations.
Hulu stated in a blog post on 6-13-2010
“We continue to monitor developments on HTML5, but as of now it doesn’t yet meet all of our customers’ needs. Our player doesn’t just simply stream video, it must also secure the content, handle reporting for our advertisers, render the video using a high performance codec to ensure premium visual quality, communicate back with the server to determine how long to buffer and what bitrate to stream, and dozens of other things that aren’t necessarily visible to the end user.”
The other entity that appears to be going the no H.264 video route for now is one of the biggies. Firefox can not or will not support it. H.264 would require a licensed codec to play. This poses a difficulty for Firefox, which is otherwise free software. For this reason, they only include the Theora codec, which is unencumbered. There’s no plan to license and include an H.264 codec. For Firefox to do something like Chrome has done they would have to become closed-source like Safari and Chrome-not-Chromium. I don’t see Mozilla crossing that big red line, no matter what anyone says…more
Read the rest on ComputerNutz.com
- Google Developing Ipad Killer
- The award for best Steven Jobs Obituary goes to The Onion
- Apple Stores in China under siege
- Is this the beginning of the end of Apple?
- The real reason the new iPad spells disaster for Microsoft. (It’s not the retina display either)
- As the Storm Troopers trample all over the constitution, somewhere Steve Jobs is smiling: Our thoughts on the “stolen” iPhone.
- Wi-Fi by the Hour Now Available for iPad (LiveScience.com) | InfoTiki.com
- Why the iPad will change everything
- Watch out Apple, Windows 8 may just be an iOS Killer?
- Freeware Pick: BlackSheep